Monday, May 23, 2011

Values - Clarification and Advice

The two previous Gryphem posts have been about values, both public and private. If you have read those and taken time to think about your own values, you may have realized ways in which your personal morality differs from the morality of the society and culture around you. If you have, then this post is for you. Living in accordance with personal moral constructs that differ from the mainstream is not easy.

Part 1: Comments and Clarification

I want to prevent misunderstandings that might arise from a casual reading of these three posts. I want to be very clear about a few particular aspects of my own personal ethics, and about my intentions in writing about values.

• The fact that I honor the natural world does not mean that I am opposed to progress, if the progress is real and beneficial.
• The fact that I take exception with those who put profits over people does not mean that I am opposed to our free market economy. In fact, I believe that capitalism is a very effective and fair economic system... as long as human beings with a reasonable sense of community and moral responsibility remain in control of the processes and the corporations.
• I refer to Christian values because that is my belief system and my community. I recognize that persons of other faiths may also live in accordance with a set of values which are morally commendable and at odds with those of the general population.
• Although I do find and point out problems, I love and honor the United States and my fellow citizens. I am a proud and patriotic American.

• I believe most strongly in the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights. I look to these founding documents for enlightenment and guidance. The Preamble to the US Constitution is particularly helpful in remembering why we exist and what our priorities should be.
• The fact that I contrast honesty with the persuasive power of lawyers does not mean that I do not respect and value lawyers and our system of justice. I am merely reaffirming the intent of the American people, expressed in the Preamble, to “establish justice,” and rejecting those who twist the system for personal gain.
• When I criticize partisanship, I am not criticizing our American system of government. I am criticizing those who miss the point of our Founders as expressed in the Preamble, when they proclaimed their intention to “form a more perfect Union,” and to “insure domestic tranquility.”
• When I criticize deficit spending, I am taking a stand against those who routinely violate the intention of the Founders, who proclaimed in the Preamble their intent to “secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.” Seems to me we too often seek those blessings for ourselves but don’t even consider our posterity. Good thing our forefathers weren’t so self-centered.
• When I criticize flaws or elements within our American society, no disrespect is intended. In fact, I stand in awe at the commitment of the United States to continual improvement and freedom for all.

My intent is to point out ways in which persons of good will, committed to morality, virtue, and honor in public life, can make our world better. We will only improve if we see where improvement is needed.

Part 2: Advice:  Be Prepared for Adversity

For you who are determined to live in accordance with your own high moral standards even though they might differ from those of the broader culture, I have one bit of advice. Be Prepared. When you challenge what other people think, what they assume, what they expect or desire, you will encounter more opposition than you imagine. This will be true even when the “challenge” you present is not confrontational. Simply holding yourself to a higher moral standard will be perceived by some as antagonistic, and sometimes will be met with defensiveness or even aggression.

• Be prepared for hostility from others who despise you because you present a threat to their profit motive.
• Be prepared for confrontation and demands that you justify your beliefs in terms of dollars and cents, or empirical data. Most people in the United States believe (wrongly) that giving an opinion or making an allegation in numerical form is proof of the validity of the assertion.
• Be prepared to deal with manipulative mathematics based on erroneous postulates or flawed assumptions. To those who believe “the numbers don’t lie,” nothing really matters except the bottom line. This can be true whether that bottom line is dollars or statistical percentages.
• Be prepared for impenetrable illogic. Many do not understand the concept of “reasoned opinion,” and will believe that any unproven allegation is of equal validity with any other – including those which are irrational and partisan.
• Be prepared for hostility from others who fear you because you present a threat to their hedonistic lifestyle.

• Be prepared to be marginalized by people who mistakenly believe that principles and values are dependent upon affirmation by the majority, or subject to election or negotiation.
• Be prepared for ridicule, particularly when you make your religious beliefs known. Jesus and his disciples were ridiculed, taunted, and marginalized, and it is likely that you will be, also. Even in this nation which defends freedom of religion, there will be many who will mock you, marginalize you, try to hurt you, try to provoke a reaction from you.
• Be prepared to be hated. Some people will hate you. They will not hate you because of anything you have done, but simply because they disagree with your religious beliefs or because they are filled with spite and hate everyone.
• Be prepared for blasphemy. Those who hate you because you are different will use every means at their disposal to hurt and silence you. That includes the vilest blasphemy. If you doubt this, it is easily demonstrable by doing an online search for images related to the phrase “Jesus Loves You.” I do not recommend you do this. Some of the results will cause you great angst. Those who hate and despise you and your beliefs are out there, and will lash out at you. You must be mentally and emotionally prepared for them.
• Be prepared for those who will consider your personal judgment to be flawed, insufficient, and inferior to their own for no other reason than that they wish it to be so.

I may have unduly emphasized negative expectations in this post.  If so, I have done so reluctantly.  I have no desire to scare good people into downplaying their values for fear of adversity or rejection. At the same time, I believe it is best to be prepared for whatever adversity may come.

I believe that the life illumined by values and commitment to greater things is infinitely more fulfilling than the life of convenience.  I hope these bits of writing help you stand stronger in a world that will challenge your values, principles, and heartfelt beliefs.

May your journey be made less difficult by knowing others have traveled this way before, and have survived the same perils you may face. Be prepared, stay strong, and be true to what you know is right.

Gryphem

“Grow the world you want to live in.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone with something to say is welcome to post comments on Gryphem. Keep it positive if you can. Keep it clean and respectful always.