Monday, December 12, 2011

Rejoicing in Thessaloniki

A certain quotation which was read in my presence yesterday seemed particularly significant to me.  You might say it spoke to me.  I pass it along to you, in the hope that you will also realize... Not only do you have permission to be happy, you are actually expected by God to be joyous.

For an instant I wondered, ‘How can I rejoice?  There are so many issues to deal with...’  Then I remembered that God is bigger than any problem in my life or my world.  I sometimes get wrapped up in what’s near at hand and need to take a step back to regain the big picture.

This quote comes from a letter written quite some time ago by a religious leader to some friends in Greece.  The most momentous part for me was the paragraph beginning with the word, ‘rejoice.’  I also present for you the surrounding parts.  I hope it speaks to you as it did to me. 
   
     Live in peace with each other… warn
     those who are idle and disruptive,
     encourage the disheartened, help the
     weak, be patient with everyone.

     Make sure that nobody pays back
     wrong for wrong, but always strive
     to do what is good for each other and
     for everyone else.

     Rejoice always.  Pray continually. 
     Give thanks in all circumstances. 
     This is God’s will for you…

     Hold on to what is good. 
     Reject every kind of evil.

     May God himself, the God of peace,
     sanctify you through and through. May  
     your whole spirit, soul and body be
     kept blameless…  The one who calls
     you is faithful, and he will do it.

          - Paul deTarsus, "Letter to Thessaloniki"

Thessaloniki, Greece
Spending more time in joy.  Sounds like a great idea to me.

Gryphem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone with something to say is welcome to post comments on Gryphem. Keep it positive if you can. Keep it clean and respectful always.